Tuesday, November 27, 2007

soccer mullets!

Another post so soon? Shouldn't I be working? Yes and yes, but I wanted to illustrate what you'll see here.

When I first started following the Chicago Fire, I was enamored of Nate Jaqua. But he left us for L.A. Galaxy (then Toronto FC... and Houston Dynamo (congratulations!)), so I needed a new soccer boyfriend (see #3 on Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz's list). I found one in Matty Pickens. The previous year Matt "Slim" Pickens was overlooked because of his very bad hair (left). He used to wear it with a headband, too. And he wasn't the only one! Poor Chris Rolfe (right) had the "soccer hair" as well. I know I've seen it around MLS and around the world. It's like a bad mullet. Wait, are there good mullets?


But something must have happened in the off-season. Perhaps the boys met some girls who were looking out for their best interests. Or maybe they just realized it was easier to play soccer without all that hair in their faces. To our left is Matty looking oh-so-lovely while he kisses his posts (a pre-game ritual). He has this other pre-game ritual of stretching that I adore as well. There's this one stretch that gets this girl all twitterpaited. (He also runs a travel agency so if you need a cruise, he's your man. I'll buy one from him if he comes with me.)

But enough about Matty Pickens! I swear the rest of the posts will be, um, less lustful and more "critique."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, Rolfe needs to grow his hair back out!

I've just seen him this season bald with a cranium cut, looking like a little kid from the Jerry Lewis Telethon.

Nice blog! Saw the link at the Chicago Tribune soccer page.