Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Welcome!

How I started to like tolerate American Football...

Almost four years ago, I met a man who loved the Chicago Bears. When we were first dating it was easy: if he wanted to watch his beloved Chicago Bears I would, well, do something else. But once cohabitation happened, the NFL season became unavoidable.

So he struck a deal: I'll cuddle you if we watch football.

It seemed harmless enough, but soon I wanted to know what was going on. (Damn you innate curiosity!) He started explaining the basics and I started making up my own interpretations. Especially for the referee calls. The "false start" motion became "Bossanova!" Someone called on "holding"? Oh no, that was now "fisting." Thankfully my male, football-watching friends find this amusing enough.

That's about as far as I've gotten with the NFL, though. What I've really sunk my teeth into is American Soccer/MLS. How did that happen? Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz, a guest blogger on Luis Arroyave's Red Card blog, sums it up rather nicely in today's post. She nails it and I swear she asked my boyfriend how he did it! In these five ways I've become a Chicago Fire fan. But that's another post for another day (or maybe an article one day).

Why did I tell you all this? Bascially because you need to know that I am not a typical sports fan. I create my own color commentary (as alluded to above) and find myself snarking about the players' hair, jewelry, shoes, etc. I don't always understand the game but I know bad hair when I see it.

No comments: